10th May 2019 – Please note that this page is still in development and as such some details may change or be incomplete.
MBCT / MBSR Supervised Training Pathway
We are pleased to announce our partnership with Mindflow who are a participating member of the UK Network of Mindfulness-based Teacher Training organisations. Through this partnership we are now able to offer a 12 month (minimum duration), MBCT/MBSR Supervised Training Pathway for Healthcare Professionals which is in accordance with, and adheres to good practice guidelines set out by the UK Network for mindfulness-based teachers (https://www.ukmindfulnessnetwork.co.uk/organisations/)
Applications are now open for a place onto this programme starting Autumn 2019.
Please contact us for an application form.
Supervised Training Pathway Overview:
This training pathway progresses through three stages:
Stage 1: Integrating theory into practice
- Six days training within a six-month period
- Placement sought.
Stage 2: Residential retreat
- Delivered over five days (Monday afternoon to Friday afternoon)
Stage 3: Supervised practice of two eight-week programmes
- Delivery of an 8-week mindfulness based programme under supervision. Four hours supervision during each 8-week programme.
Stages 1 to 3 can be completed within a minimum duration of 12 months, up to a maximum 2 years, depending on individual circumstances and needs.
Teacher Training Programme
This training offers a 12 month (minimum duration), to 24 months (maximum duration), supervised training pathway for healthcare professionals.
Please note that this is a vocational training programme with an emphasis on ‘skills development and application of the skills’ to client base. As such, successful applicants onto this programme will be grounded, both experientially, and theoretically, within the foundations of mindfulness practice, the core essence of both MBCT and MBSR.
During the course of the 12-24 month training pathway participants will be required to keep a training portfolio, attend CPD events, and undergo supervised teaching practice. On successful completion of this training programme, participants will be certified as Mindflow Teachers and be able to deliver an 8-week MBCT / MBSR programme to their particular client base. In addition, participants would be eligible to apply to the UK Network for a teacher listing. Mindflow can act as your referee towards teacher listing.
The UK Network listing of mindfulness teachers is not compulsory, it is optional, created to provide the general public and policy makers with clear information to identify those teachers who have received adequate training, and currently meet the UK Network Good Practice Guidelines for teaching Mindfulness-based courses.
Although this training programme is aimed at teaching healthcare professionals to deliver an eight-week, group-based course, the skills learnt on this training programme are also ideally suited for individual client therapeutic work.
In application for a place onto this programme participants will have:
- Attended an 8-week, group based MBSR or MBCT programme with a recognised organisation / teacher.
- An established mindfulness meditation practice of at least 6 months.
- A recognised professional qualification in mental and/or physical health.
- Membership to a specific professional healthcare organisation, such as BACP.
- Places limited to 10 per programme
- 100% attendance is required
- Completion of all set work
- Attendance of residential retreat
- Completion of supervised practice
Supervised training pathway components and requirements:
1) Mindflow MBCT / MBSR teacher training programme consists of six-days training in skills, theory (classical origins, MBCT and MBSR), practice, rational and intentions underpinning the mindfulness-based intervention being taught. This training programme provides participants with the underpinnings of Buddhist philosophy and its integration within Western psychology, and psychotherapy. The six days will be delivered within a six-month period. It is a requirement of this training programme that attendees have 100% attendance and submit all their reflective homework journals in relation to their personal engagement and experiential learning of the core practices of this training programme. The core practices of this training programme include: mindfulness of the body, mindfulness of breathing, mindful yoga/movement, and empathy and compassion practices.
2) Attendance of the five day teacher training retreat.
3) Attendees are required to keep a self-reflective log over the 12 month period to enhance teacher awareness and to further skills development.
4) Ideally, attendees will be required to undertake an eight-week placement with an experienced mindfulness teacher and carry out a critical appraisal of the process. It is the attendee’s responsibility to find a suitable placement.
5) If participants are unable to find a suitable placement then they will be required to deliver two 8-week programmes, under supervision. Attendees will be required to give a full critical appraisal of the process of delivering their 8-week programmes.
6) On-going supervision at the end of this training programme will be required.
Please note that Mindflow will only certify applicants who have completed all parts of the training pathway, and who have submitted all the required work.
UK Training – OCTOBER 2019
Stage 1: Integrating theory into practice – six days teacher training:
Thursday 24th & Friday 25th October 2019
Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th January 2020
Thursday 26th & Friday 27th March 2020
Stage 2: Retreat – dates tbc April/May 2020
Time: Monday 4.00 pm – Friday 3:00 pm
Teacher Training Retreat – NOVEMBER 2019 – India
Stages 1 and 2 are combined into this ten day training retreat. Details and pricing are still being arranged.
Geraldine Thomas, Mindflow
Geraldine is a mindfulness and meditation teacher and trainer and has over 18 years personal experience of mindfulness and meditation. She has a particular interest in the psychological processes involved with mindfulness, meditation and contemplative based practices and how these psychological processes interface with current theory in relation to attention and emotional regulation.
Geraldine holds a BACP approved Masters Level Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy from Liverpool John Moores University. She is a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP) and adheres to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice. Geraldine is registered on the BACP’s accredited voluntary register which has been approved by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care.
In 1995 Geraldine attended one of the first Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction programmes (MBSR) to be introduced into the UK and later went onto study Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) at the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice and Bangor University. She holds Postgraduate Diploma in Mindfulness Based Approaches. In addition, Geraldine holds a British Wheel of Yoga 3 year Diploma in Hatha Yoga.
Robert Broughton, The Northern Centre for Mindfulness and Compassion
Mindfulness Instructor, Mentor and Supervisor
Please see the ‘about us’ page within this website for further background on Robert.
Payment: (UK training programme)
Stage 1: Integrating theory into practice, £1,200 (including £300 non-refundable place secure deposit). This can be paid in full at time of booking or £500 deposit. The remaining £700 to be paid one month before commencement of the programme.
Stage 2: Teacher Training Retreat, £400.00 (tbc). Full Payment due 1 month before commencement.
Stage 3: Supervised Practice, £360 (£180 per 8-week supervised group, four hours supervision per group. Payment due on commencement of each supervised practice group.
Total cost for MBCT/ MBCT Teacher Training Level 1 is £1,960 (inc where applicable VAT). A payment installment plan can be agreed in advance of booking.
Please note that a place onto this training programme is by application only.
Places are limited to 10 participants per group.
To apply please contact us to request an application form.