Why Consider Using Mindfulness in the Workplace?
Neuroscientific evidence is increasingly supporting the beneficial effects of mindfulness on our mental health and general well-being; highlighting amongst other benefits its role in helping with stress management, cardiac disease, high blood pressure, anxiety, worry and depression.
What is also becoming evident is that mindfulness skills develop and enhance inter and intra-personal skills such as emotional intelligence, leadership, decision-making, creativity, communication, collaboration and team work.
Transport for London, employing a workforce of more than 20,000 introduced a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programme into their workplace and achieved significant long lasting benefits that:
- Reduced employee absence caused by stress, anxiety and depression by 71% over three years
- Decreased absence for all conditions by 50% over the same time and
- Promoted 53% increase in happiness and engagement.
Mindfulness training offers significant potential benefits to employers both in terms of improved physical and mental health and also improvements in employee engagement, resilience, creativity and productivity.
|Mindfulness is NOT
- Emptying our minds
- Becoming emotionless
- Escaping pain
- Withdrawing from life
- Seeking blissful states
- Attention training
- Understanding the impact of stress on our bodies, thoughts, emotions and relationships
- Befriending our minds and our emotions
- Working with pain
- Living life to the full
Introducing Mindfulness to Staff
Interest in mindfulness meditation is at an all time high. The international best seller “Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world” has spent over 6 years in Amazon's top 100 books. There is however a lot of misundertanding about what mindfulness is and what attending an 8 week mindfulness course would entail. We have therefore developed an Information Sheet for those interest in attending an mindfulness course, which addresses some of the common misconceptions and also highlights the level of personal commitment required.
Please see http://www.yorkmbsr.eventbrite.co.uk/ for details of forthcoming course dates and further information. If you click attend and then scroll down you will find further course information.
For anyone who would like to find out more before committing to an 8 week course we would recommend one of the following books
- Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Prof Mark Williams and Danny Penman
- Mindfulness for Health: A practical guide to relieving pain, reducing stress and restoring wellbeing by Vidyamala Burch and Danny Penman
If you would like copies of mindfulness flyers either to display in your organisation or as a means of introducing mindfulness to patients then please get in touch.
Introductory Workshops are an important first step for organisations wishing to offer mindfulness training.
We offer the following half-day introductory workshops
- Mindfulness for Health and Wellbeing
- Mindfulness for Personal and Professional Change
- Mindfulness-Based Compassionate Care
- Insight-based Human Resources
- Insight-based Leadership
- Compassionate Leadership
- Mindfulness and Leadership (full day)
For those wishing to offer mindfulness training we offer the following courses
The vast majority of over 80 (NHS) Finance Professionals felt that mindfulness training would benefit managers (82%) and staff (87%) after attending a Northern Centre for Mindfulness and Compassion Introductory Workshop.
Feedback from delegates included:-
- “Excellent would like to learn more”
- “Probably needs to be grounded in wider organisational culture”
- "The benefit of this in the NHS for both staff and the population at large could be great"
95% of the 70 people who attended a CIPD Introduction to Mindfulness Workshop scored the workshop as "excellent" or "good"
Feedback from delegates included:-
- “This was the best event I have attended in my 23 years with the CIPD. What Sally did was bring a genuineness, passion and knowledge which allowed us to experience mindfulness from a fresh perspective”
- "A very worthwhile evening"
- "Brilliant event"
To find out more or book your place on one of our public ourses or events please visit: YorkMBSR.eventbrite.co.uk
If you would like any further information about workplace mindfulness please contact Sally Roberts, either through firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01904 634710.